**Only 2 places remaining – book your spot now to start in August! **
Sunshine Sailing Australia’s Yachtmaster Offshore Fast Track offers you a reliable and direct route to the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore qualification.
You will spend 12 weeks immersed in exciting, supportive and in-depth training and adventures on your way to gaining this qualification. After gaining the qualification your certificate is valid for use as Master of yachts of up to 200GT on commercial and privately registered yachts. In addition, the certificate is a benchmark around the world for commercial skippers and essential for professional yachting. Whether you are an experienced sailor, a beginner, planning a career in sailing or achieving a personal goal, this thorough RYA Yachtmaster Fast Track is for you.
Course Objectives and Outcomes
The course is designed for those aspiring to the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore level of competence. While completing the qualification the course will give you the experience, miles and qualifications to gain your commercial endorsement for the MCA Master of Yachts 200GT up to 24m. When you’re done, go and cruise the world as a paid skipper in the Superyacht industry, or cruise the world on your own yacht with the confidence and capability of an Offshore Yachtmaster.
RYA Yachtmaster Qualification
At the end of this course you will be examined for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore certificate of competence. In addition, you will also gain the required supporting qualifications and miles to work as a paid skipper around the world.
RYA Certificates of Competence are some of the most useful and credible of all yachting qualifications. They thoroughly test the skipper’s ability, and give you a new level of confidence in your capabilities.
Included within our Fastrack courses are either racing or bluewater cruising. Enjoy yourself as you come racing with us on either the Brisbane to Gladstone Yacht Race, Hamilton Island Race Week, or join us on our Bluewater cruise to Lord Howe Island in the South Pacific!
The RYA Yachtmaster Fast Track Course Inclusions
- 4 days developing sailing skills on J24 keelboats
- RYA Essentials -Navigation (Online)
- RYA Competent Crew
- RYA Day Skipper – Theory
- RYA Day Skipper – Practical
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore – Theory
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore – Practical
- Blue Water Ocean passage from Mooloolaba to Lord Howe Island and return
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- Yacht Maintenance, Rigging and Sail Making experience
- Mile Builders on the East Coast of Australia
- Spinnaker Handling Course
- Marine First Aid
- Sea Safety and Survival
- Short/Long-Range Radio Operators Certificate
- RYA Radar
- Diesel Maintenance
- International Certificate of Competence
- Yachtmaster Exam Preparation
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Examination
- 52 days on your logbook
- 2520 miles logged
- 40 night hours
Our sailing areas of Moreton Bay and the Sunshine Coast, Fraser Island, Great Sandy Straits plus the Whitsunday Islands of the Great Barrier Reef are an excellent base for Yachtmaster training. They provide ideal conditions; perfect winds, warm tidal waters, busy shipping lanes and a wide variety of interesting sailing passages to exotic destinations makes this some of the best sailing grounds in the world!
RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Fast Track – 31st of August to 30th of November 2019
The course begins on the 31st of August 2019 and finishes with the Yachtmaster examination on the 30th of November 2019. As a participant you will enjoy completing the course in a variety of stunning locations including the Whitsundays, Hamilton Island, the east coast of Australia and around Mooloolaba, Moreton Bay and the Gold Coast.
See the full course calendar from the 31st of August through to the 30th of November using the link below. You may need to scroll forward from the current month to September, October and November.
- Before 31st August – RYA Essentials Navigation (Online)
- 31st August to 3rd September – Day Skipper (Theory)
- 4th and 5th September – RYA Powerboat Level 2
- 9th and 10th September – Keelboat Crewing and Helming
- 11th and 12th September – Keelboat Skippering
- 13th September – Marine First Aid
- 14th and 15th September – Sea Safety and Survival
- 17th September – Marine Radio
- 18th September – RYA Radar
- 19th September – RYA Diesel Engine
- 24th to 29th September – RYA Competent Crew (Hamilton Island to Yeppoon) – will need to fly to Hamilton Island on the 23rd of September.
- 1st to 6th October – RYA Day Skipper – Practical (Yeppoon to Mooloolaba)
- 9th to 13th October – RYA Coastal Skipper (Theory)
- 14th to 18th October – RYA Coastal Skipper (Practical)
- 21st October to 1st November – Mile and Skill Builders
- 4th and 5th November – Yacht Electronic Systems
- 6th to 10th November – RYA Yachtmaster Exam Preparation
- 12th November – Yacht Maintenance
- 13th November – Yacht Rigging
- 14th November – Sail Making and Repairs
- 16th to 27th November – Mooloolaba to Lord Howe Island and Return
- 29th to 30th November – Yachtmaster Offshore Exam
Accommodation and food is provided for the following dates:
- 23rd September to 6th October
- 14th to 18th October
- 21st October to 1st November
- 6th to 10th November
- 16th to 30th November
The full calendar is available for viewing here, you will need to scroll forward to September: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=drnanvkorpqa6t7o4hn6he6pus%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Australia%2FBrisbane
The theory syllabus:
During the courses classroom based theory components you will cover a broad range of topics, including the following:
- Passage planning
- GPS and electronic aids
- Vessel stability
- Advanced navigation and chartwork
- Tidal heights and streams
- Safety equipment and procedures
- Collision Regulations (IRPCS)
- And much more….
Whilst having fun on the water with your instructor you will cover advanced techniques including the following:
- Sail trimming
- Boat handling under sail and power
- Port entry and pilotage
- Passage planning
- Crew management
- Safety and emergency drills
- Spinnaker handling
- Skippered passages
- Watch keeping
- Blind Navigation
- And much more…
In addition, we want you to be capable of maintaining a yacht, so training is continuous throughout the course and covers all the mechanical and electronic boat systems.
BYO Yachtmaster Training
Build-Your-Own RYA Yachtmaster Fast Track Course (optional)
If the Fast Track program isn’t for you, that’s ok! Please enquire if you would like to achieve the Yachtmaster Coastal or Offshore qualification over a longer period, or on different dates to the scheduled Fast Track. We will construct a schedule that meets your needs and takes in to account your existing experience.
The Yachtmaster Training Vessels and Personnel
Your Fastrack course will be on board our spacious and luxurious Hanse 400e, in full AMSA 2B survey. The benefit of this survey is it allows us to go up to 200nm from the coast! Only five students are enrolled on each course and all courses are run by an experienced and fully qualified RYA approved instructor. This helps to ensure the highest level of instruction is available to each individual.
What To Do Next?
To keep growing your sailing skills we recommend the RYA Cruising Instructor Training as your next port of call.
The first step in teaching within the practical cruising scheme is to become qualified as an RYA Cruising Instructor.
Sacha Berlinguette-Chabot course completed 7th April 2019
Great sailing school! Did a RYA Fast track up to Coastal Skipper and feel I've gained relevant and useful skill for safe and fun sailing. John and Carl and the team of instructors are very helpful in helping out toward your success and getting confidence in your theoretical and practical skill. Would do again in an heartbeat.
Terry Silk course completed 9th March 2018
Recently I had the pleasure of completing my RYA training with the Sunshine Sailing Australia (SSA). John Bankart, the proprietor of SSA… proved to be everything that I expected from a professional instructor whose skills were up to the high standards of RYA…I readily recommend Sunshine Sailing Australia to people seeking a highly qualified and professional sail training establishment.
Chris Prewitt course completed 21st September 2018
The Fastrack course was fantastic, not only did we learn so much, but most importantly it was absolute fun! The way the program was put together from start to finish was perfect. Thanks again for all your help along the way.