SSA’s proprietary first mate course introduces the complete beginner to sailing on keeled boat. This 5-day course on our 24-foot keelboat is the perfect introduction to sailing and the eventual step up to yachting.
What will I learn?
- Parts of the rigging, sails and sail control
- Wind awareness
- Sailing upwind and downwind
- Tacking and Gybing
- The importance of good communication when manouvering
- Slipping and coming alongside a jetty or mooring
- Knots: figure-of-eight, round turn and two half hitches, clove hitch, bowline, reef knot
- Securing a line to a cleat and a fender to the boat
- Man overboard recovery
- Basic rules of the road
- Where to obtain weather forecasts
- Reefing the sail – on the water and alongside
- Sailing in close proximity to other vessels
- Lee shore dangers
- Using winches and cleats
What do I bring?
Bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, bathing suit, a warm jumper, change of clothes, spray jacket.
Where do I stay?
This course is not a stay aboard course, you will need to bring lunch and have local accommodation to stay in each day.
Where are we?
Course starts 9:30am. Our office is located at The Mooloolaba Marina on Parkyn Parade, Mooloolaba just an hour north of Brisbane. There’s ample parking.
What do I get?
A Sunshine Sailing Australia ‘First Mate – Keelboat’ certificate.
Need More Info?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call on (07) 5478 2299. We are more than happy to help!