Sunshine Sailing Australia’s Yachtmaster Offshore Fast Track offers you a reliable and direct route to the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore qualification.
In this program, you will spend 12 weeks immersed in exciting, supportive and in-depth training and adventures. The qualification and certificate you will earn is valid for use as Master of yachts of up to 200GT (gross tonnes) on commercial and privately registered yachts. In addition, the certificate is a benchmark around the world for commercial skippers and is essential for professional yachting. Whether you are an experienced sailor, a beginner, planning a career in sailing, or achieving a personal goal, this thorough RYA Yachtmaster Fast Track is for you.
Course Duration: 3 Months
Start and Finish Times: Start at 9:30am on the Start Date.
Minimum Age: 17 years or over.
Course Format: Blended learning in the classroom and on the water. Prerequisites: None.
Who is this course designed for?
The course is designed for those aspiring to the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore level of competence. This program will give you the experience, miles and qualifications to gain your commercial endorsement for the MCA Master of Yachts 200GT (gross tonnes) up to 24m. When you’re done, you can cruise the world as a paid skipper in the Superyacht industry, or cruise the world on your own yacht with the confidence and capability of an Offshore Yachtmaster.
What will this course enable you to do?
The Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence demonstrates that you have the knowledge and ability to the level of an Offshore Yachtmaster. You may do this qualification for personal or professional reasons.
If you want to use this qualification commercially, the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence allows you to skipper commercial vessels around the world. You may find work in any of the following professions:
- Superyacht deck and skippering
- Yacht delivery
- Private skippering
- Commercial sail vessel master
- RYA Instructor
- and more
Becoming an RYA Instructor
After completing your RYA Yachtmater Offshore Certificate of Competence with a commercial endorsement, you will be able to undertake the first stage of RYA Instructor training, the RYA Cruising Instructor course. Upon successful completion of the Cruising Instructor training, you will be able to deliver RYA Start Yachting, RYA Competent Crew, and RYA Day Skipper Practical training with an accredited RYA school, such as Sunshine Sailing Australia. If you are interested in this, please talk to us about potential career opportunities. We are always looking for high quality instructors.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The RYA Yachtmaster Fast Track Course includes the following courses in the schedule and the full syllabus contained within each of these:
- Completing the RYA Essentials -Navigation (Online) course prior to the orientation day
- Learn to be an effective member of crew on the RYA Competent Crew course
- Two days developing sailing skills on J24 keelboats
- Build your knowledge with the RYA Day Skipper – Theory
- Developing skippering skills on the RYA Day Skipper – Practical
- Going deeper in to theory with the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore – Theory
- Deepening your skills with the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore – Practical
- Learning about powerboats and superyacht tenders on the RYA Powerboat Level 2
- Yacht Maintenance, Rigging and Sail Making experience
- Mile Builders on the East Coast of Australia to build your sea miles
- Spinnaker Handling Course
- Marine First Aid
- Sea Safety and Survival
- Short/Long-Range Radio Operators Certificate
- RYA Radar
- Diesel Maintenance
- International Certificate of Competence
- Yachtmaster Exam Preparation
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Examination
Download the course information pack for the full syllabus and course information:
After this, you will have acheived:
- 52 days on your logbook
- 2700 miles logged
- 60 night hours
Whilst unlikely, due to the unpredictability of weather systems there may be courses that need postponing. In this situation, you may be required to extend your dates slightly to ensure you meet all the requirements.
Our sailing areas include the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Fraser Island, Great Sandy Straits, and the Whitsunday Islands of the Great Barrier Reef. An excellent base for Yachtmaster training, these areas provide ideal conditions: perfect winds, warm tidal waters, busy shipping lanes and a wide variety of interesting sailing passages. With exotic destinations, these are some of the best sailing grounds in the world!
What qualification do you receive?
At the end of this course, you will be examined for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore certificate of competence. In addition, you will gain the required supporting qualifications and miles to work as a paid skipper around the world.
RYA Certificates of Competence are some of the most useful and credible of all yachting qualifications. They thoroughly test the skipper’s ability and give you a new level of confidence in your capabilities.
RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Fast Track – 24th September to 24th December 2021
The next course begins on the 24th of September 2021 and finishes with the Yachtmaster examination between the 22nd and 24th of December 2021. As a participant you will enjoy completing the course in a variety of stunning locations including the Whitsundays, Hamilton Island, Mooloolaba, Moreton Bay and the Gold Coast.
Courses and Dates:
- Induction, Orientation and Briefing Day – 24th of September
- Competent Crew – 25th to 29th of September
- Keelboat Helming Skills Course – 1st and 2nd of October
- Day Skipper Theory – 4th to 8th of October
- Day Skipper Practical – 9th to 13th of October
- Mile Builder – 15th to 18th of October
- Radio – 20th of October
- Safety and Sea Survival – 21st and 22nd of October
- Diesel Engine – 23rd of October
- RADAR – 24th of October
- Mile Builder – 26th to 28th of October
- Yacht Maintenance – 29th of October
- Yacht Rigging – 29th of October
- Sail Making – 30th of October
- Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore Theory – 1st to 5th of November
- Coastal Skipper Practical – 8th to 12th of November
- Powerboat Level 2 – 15th and 16th of November
- Mile Building and Skills Practice – 18th to 28th of November
- Mile Building and Skills Practice – 1st to 14th of December
- Yachtmaster Exam Preparation Week – 17th to 21st of December
- Exams – 22nd to 24th of December
- RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship – online prior to the 24th of September. Course access will be sent immediately following Fast Track course registration.
- First Aid – Date to be advised
- International Certificate of Competent – certificate will be issued as part of the Yachtmaster Fast Track course
Over the duration of the fast track course there will be many days when you are living aboard the training yacht. On those days you can leave any excess gear in our storage facilities. There are also some days when you will not be living aboard the training vessel. The dates when you will need your own accommodation are listed below followed by some accommodation suggestions:
- 29th of September to 11th of October
- 15th of October to 8th of November
- 12th of November to 18th of November
- 28th of November to 1st of December
- 15th of December to 17th of December
There is plenty of accommodation options nearby. Mooloolaba is a tourism destination, with options ranging from luxury hotels to bed and breakfasts accomodations.
Staying aboard at the marina
You also have the option to continue living aboard the yacht in the marina. The cost is $55 per night to liveaboard. This includes access to the marina showers and facilities, washing machines, and our offices for practicing and reviewing course content. Total cost to liveaboard for the duration of the course is $2,585.
You are the captain of your journey, and we’re here to make that voyage as smooth sailing as possible. Our friendly team is ready at any time for a question you might have about this course, or which training plan will work best with what you want out of your time on the water. Please touch base with any questions you may have.
Alison Kirkwood course completed 15th July 2021
I am signed up for the Yachtmaster Fast Track and have just completed 2 x 6 days sailing from Brisbane to Yeppoon then Yeppoon to Hamilton Island (Competent Crew & Mile Builder). I have had a fantastic time and can't wait for the start of my next course in a couple of weeks. Our instructor Finn has been great - very patient, calm and an excellent teacher. I knew it would be fun but the last two weeks have surpassed my expectations. I have no hesitation in recommending Sunshine Sailing School.
Sacha Berlinguette-Chabot course completed 7th April 2019
Great sailing school! Did a RYA Fast track up to Coastal Skipper and feel I've gained relevant and useful skill for safe and fun sailing. John and Carl and the team of instructors are very helpful in helping out toward your success and getting confidence in your theoretical and practical skill. Would do again in an heartbeat.
Terry Silk course completed 9th March 2018
Recently I had the pleasure of completing my RYA training with the Sunshine Sailing Australia (SSA). John Bankart, the proprietor of SSA… proved to be everything that I expected from a professional instructor whose skills were up to the high standards of RYA…I readily recommend Sunshine Sailing Australia to people seeking a highly qualified and professional sail training establishment.
Chris Prewitt course completed 21st September 2018
The Fastrack course was fantastic, not only did we learn so much, but most importantly it was absolute fun! The way the program was put together from start to finish was perfect. Thanks again for all your help along the way.